Saturday, October 13, 2012

Hunkered Down at Eagle Ridge


Campground Owner's House at Eagle Ridge Campground



One of the things our instructors drilled into us in Bootcamp  (get it – drill instructors – boot camp?) was that no matter what, we had to keep ourselves safe.  Road rage, bad traffic, bad turns – do whatever keeps us safe.  So when last night’s thunder storms threatened to continue with high winds and hail today, moving in the same general direction as we planned, we opted to spend another night here, giving us a free, uncommitted, non-travel day.  The cats love these days, and I have to admit, I like them a lot also.  How often to you find yourself with a day and no obligations?

Beanie planning his day off


So how did we spend it?  First, a hearty breakfast.  Something I haven’t done on the trip because we’re either getting ready to tour or travel.  Bacon, softly scrambled eggs and whole wheat toast.  Yum, and enough bacon left over for BLTs before too long.   

Breakfast



We have a good WiFi connection so I downloaded 3 more books to my Nook from the Kenosha Public Library.j  I love our library, and the Nook especially when traveling.  Then a drive through the countryside and nearby town ending up at WalMart.  Yes, I know…not my favorite place either but there aren’t that many options here in the small towns for milk, work gloves and magnesium supplements.  WalMart fits the bill.  Then back home here to Chuck for a dinner – Yucatan Mexican Pork casserole constructed from the freezer, pantry and my imagination.  The storms are rolling in again now.  Hope dinner is good. 

Neighboring campsite


Tomorrow to Iowa City and dinner with a long-time greyhound friend (and birthday twin) and her husband, then on home Monday – probably.  Then again, who knows? 

5 comments:

  1. Leftover bacon? Never heard of such a thing. Have fun in Iowa City. I had friends that went to school there, spent many a fun weekend browsing it's pubs.

    One of the highpoints of each of my days, stuck on the couch, is reading your blog. What am I going to do when your home?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only reason there's any leftover bacon is because she cooks a pound at a time, and won't let me have thirds.
    What DID you do to your left foot??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had a left foot "Haglunds resection and achilles tendon repair" last Tuesday. 4-6 weeks in a cast, non weightbearing and then time in a boot with Physical therapy. Hopefully back to work in about 10 weeks. Way too much couch time for my tastes. I've been rotating computer time, reading time, tv times through the day. I going to see if I can find the end of the interent.

      Delete
  3. Give my regards to IC too and continue on your safe journey home. I assume the rig has a lightning rod of some sort.
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lightening is Sparky's job. She's the tallest. Sunshine this morning for our final leg home.

    kt

    ReplyDelete