Tuesday, January 28, 2014

More Manatees-We Hope

On Monday we left DisneyWorld after a nice, long 7 day visit.  We enjoyed the using the last days of our annual passes and finished with a day at Epcot where we soared over California, visited The Land (again-Robin's favorite along with Figment) and had a nice dinner in Morrocco.  Pastries from France came back to the rig with us for breakfast on travel day.

Yesterday we moved the 90 miles back to the Nature Coast area of Florida where we're parked at Chassahowitzka River Campground.  Yes, I spelled that right.  At first I was wondering what a good Polish-sounding name like Chassahowitzka was doing in this part of FL, then I was told it was an Indian word meaning "hanging pumpkins".  It's pronounced just like it's spelled.  We're here for a week and hope to see some manatees right at the boat launch here and maybe canoe in the river.  I haven't canoed since Girl Scout camp 40 years ago so stay tuned for that adventure.

On another note...while we're on the road, it's somewhat surreal in our home away from home.  We don't forget that lives are going on back in Kenosha, but we're a little detached despite ready communication via email and cell phone.  As a reminder of those on-going lives, my mother died today after a short stay in a Milwaukee hospice.  She was 88 years old and stable but frail when we left in December and her health deteriorated quickly over the last few weeks.  We had said our goodbyes when I left both knowing this could happen.  I'm very fortunate that my sister and her family took very good care of her while I was away and now I'll fly home for the funeral next week.  Mom loved having this blog read to her and hearing of our adventures.  I'm glad she got to participate in that way.

We'll keep you posted as life goes on here in Chuck.

1 comment:

  1. Katie...I am so sorry about Aunt Alice.I loved her and have many memories of our times togerther as families.May she be at peace and may you and Amy keep her in your hearts. Pam and Ken

    ReplyDelete