Saturday, January 26, 2013

It Was a Blast



I’m old enough that I remember my parents waking me up in the middle of the night to come downstairs and watch TV as the first man walked on the moon.  The strangeness of being awoken to watch TV heightened the magic of the moment.
 
Five years later, I had the chance to visit the Kennedy Space Center on a family trip and I remember the bus ride to see the huge assembly building and the giant transporters that pulled the rockets out of the building to the launch pads.  I clearly remember peering into a Mercury capsule and marveling at how small it was.  That was 40 years ago and it was amazing.  When I had a chance to visit again on this trip, I suggested including it in our itinerary.  Robin was willing.  She had never been even though her dad is a rocket scientist.
Kennedy Space Center Visitor Center Entrance - actual rockets in the background
 
The experience has held up extremely well.  There is still the bus ride out to the launch pad and past the assembly building.  The sheer size of everything associated with the rockets is mind-boggling.  Now the whole experience has been enhanced with simulations and videos.   In one place you sit in the original Apollo launch facility and go through a simulated launch with lights and noise and vibration.  It was fascinating to see all the analog controls (switches and dials) that controlled the process then.  We've become so accustomed to touch screens and digital displays.   

Actual Apollo launch room.



Saturn launch simulation


 There was a Disney-esque (and I mean that in a good way) ride/simulation of a shuttle launch that pulled 3 G’s, or at least simulated the feeling.   

Fun ride pulling simulated 3 G's

 There are lots of rockets and plaques and moving memorials to astronauts who have died .  Two IMAX theaters have great 3D movies of the space station and Hubble telescope.  Oh yeah, and there is a gift shop or two.

  
Vehicle Assembly Building - 500+ ft. tall.  Each stripe on the flag is 6' wide.









Business end of an actual Saturn rocket



Middle sections of Saturn rocket
I have to say, it was interesting,informative, moving, awe-inspiring, inspirational and those sorts of soppy things.  I have a new appreciation of the innovation and technology that made the accomplishments to date possible.  I have renewed hope for the future exploration.  Well worth a visit.


No comments:

Post a Comment